15 December 2013

How to: Waterfall Braid

Hey guys, 


As I am currently studying hairdressing at College, I thought I would share a hairstyle that I taught my self! Now I'm not someone that can do braids on my own hair so I have actually done this braid on my training head so excuse any of the discolouration of the hair please! I have tried braiding my own hair before but I can never get the hang of it, but this hairstyle can be for your self or if you want to do your families hair then share this hairstyle with them! 
Waterfall Braid Inspiration 
So here I found a Waterfall Braid inspiration off of Google Images. You can find many sorts of braids like this, and if I'm honest, I really do like this hairstyle on curly hair!

Though it may look complicated, it's very easy to do! I know I am a hairdresser so you would think that, but if hairdressing was easy wouldn't everyone be hairdressers?





Let's Start!


1.) To start, you want to brush your hair through to get rid of any tangles or knots. This makes the hairstyle easier to manage as well as giving it a methodical finish. 

2.) Now starting at the side of your head you want to take a small section above the ear. Once you have got your section split into two halves. 
* I've named my strands Strand 1 and Strand 2. You'll see how easy it is in a second





3.) Strand 1 and Strand 2 are going to be the main part of your braid. To start off the braid you want to cross both of these strands over each other.
* When starting the braid you can cross over once or twice. I sometimes cross over twice just to make sure its secure, however this depends on the hair type.





4.) Now you are ready to add another strand! We are going to call this strand Strand 3. Don't freak out already, this is a fairly easy step and if you believe that you can do it then you will be able to! Grab a section from the hair from the top of the head. (like you would if you were doing a french plait) Once you have that section add it to the braid you have already made with Strand 1 and Strand 2.
* Act like a normal 3 strand braid if you find this difficult.

Now Strand 3 should be laying in between Strand 1 and Strand 2. Leave Strand 3 where it is (you no longer need this strand anymore) and follow Step 3 crossing over Strand 1 and Strand 2
* Don't panic! This is only the start of the braid, you will see it forming if you keep going!




5.) This is exactly the same as Step 4!
Continue adding a strand but leaving it in its place while still crossing over Strand 1 and Strand 2. You'll see it come together at the third strand you add which in my case is Strand 5.























You should end up with something like this! This only fits one side of the head so if you would like to do a halo style of this hairstyle then just do the same for the other side! 

Although this hairstyle may have seemed confusing and hard in the beginning I hope I broke it down in easier steps to help you achieve this hairstyle! Even if my instructions on how to do this was confusing I still hope you get the idea of where I am coming from and just keep trying! Once you know how to do it you'll have everyone asking you how you've done it or they might even ask you to do it on them! 






Have fun with this style and if you try this style then take a picture and post it on instagram with the hashtag #jesshairstyles I'd love to see yours! 

See you again
                   Jess xo


No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished | Copyright 2016